Roses are appreciated for their beauty and fragrance but did you know they are luxurious aids for the skin and hair too?
Here are a few different recipes to try (bath oil, dusting powder and a vinegar that is a lovely hair rinse or facial splash/skin freshener).
First some tips:
- If possible, select the freshest flowers by picking them on the day you’ll be making these.
- Use organic or pesticide free blooms since these will be applied to the body or consumed (the vinegar).
Homemade Bath Oil
2 oz grapeseed oil
5 drops jasmine oil
5 drops ylang-ylang oil
- Put petals into a glass bottle and top with the oils.
- Shake and allow to sit overnight.
- Add 1/4 oz. to bath.
Source: Womans World Magazine Oct, 2007
4 roses (medium size)
1 cup cornstarch
3 TBS baking soda
3 dried roses
- In a small cardboard box, layer the petals and cornstarch. Fit the cover on but don’t seal tight, the contents should still have a bit of air. Leave for 24 to 36 hours.
- Sift the pieces from cornstarch then add the baking soda (may have to sift a few times). Combine well then split the mixture into two batches. *See tip below
- Next take the dried flowers, remove the stem and leaves and add the heads to one half of the mixture. Pour into a blender and grind until they are fine.
- Add the fine ground mixture to the other half of the powder mixture, and blend with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the scented powder into a decorative box or shaker jar, allow to sit for a day before using.
- If a stronger scent is preferred, add another batch of fresh petals and allow to sit another 24 hours (first sift out the initial batch).
- Can substitute with lavender or other scented flowers if desired.
Ideas For Use:
- Dust body with a puff after showering
- Lightly sprinkle on bedding for a nicely scented sleep
- To scent lingerie drawers or closets
- Great to give as homemade gifts
Ideas for using:
- Salad dressing or vinaigrette*
- Facial splash and skin freshener (dilute with water)
- Headache soother (soak cloth, squeeze out, then place on forehead)
- Shampoo rinse
- Tub soak (approx 1 cup per full tub)
2 cups white wine vinegar (heat to near boil)
1 cup petals
3 or 4 whole cloves
- Gently wash and drain petals thoroughly then carefully remove the white/yellow part from each (just snip with scissors). Gently crush them to bruise a bit.
- Place them in a sterilized jar with the cloves. Pour hot vinegar over top, roughly mash a bit with a wooden spoon and seal immediately.
- Set aside for 10 days (room temperature and dark). Shake occasionally.
- Strain and discard the bits.
- Using small decorative jars (sterilized), pour and seal.
Toner: This is made with dried hips and distilled or filtered water. Recommends using as a makeup setter, help soothe sunburns and wounds as well as a natural way to help balance skin.