[Updated for 2012] Time to prepare your menu and pick up food supplies for Sunday’s big game! Here are ideas galore to help make your party a big success, some are even healthy (!) while others are definite diet-busters.
If you’re not into football, these are great foods to serve for any occasion and I’m sure there’ll be an idea or two you’ll be bookmarking ;).
First, the Tipnut roundup of lip-smackin’ ideas perfect for the big day:
Next is an updated collection for this year’s Super Bowl Recipe Hit List, this is an annual tradition here on Tipnut.com so bookmark this page and come back next year to see what’s new! Enjoy and good luck with your celebration!
- Mini Corn Dog Muffins: Poppable, sweet & crispy! Makes 48 mini muffins, ingredients include melted butter, sugar, eggs, buttermilk, baking soda, cornmeal, all-purpose flour, salt and all-beef hot dogs (cut into 1″ bites). From Iowa Girl Eats.
- Baked Buffalo Wings: Served with a Blue Cheese-Yogurt dip (made with plain nonfat Greek yogurt, crumbled blue cheese, mayonnaise, chopped garlic, skim milk or buttermilk, lemon juice, Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper). Wings are made with celery, carrots, bay leaves, fat-free low-sodium chicken broth, red hot sauce, paprika, unsalted butter and honey. From Food Network.
- Coconut Chicken Strips: Made with strips of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, eggs, coconut milk (optional), all purpose flour, panko bread crumbs, shredded coconut, salt and fried in vegetable oil. Serve with a sweet chili sauce (purchased). From Budget Bytes.
- Bang Bang Chicken: Covered in a spicy sauce after deep frying (made with mayonnaise, Sriracha sauce, granulated sugar, rice vinegar), cubed chicken tenderloins are dipped in an egg and milk mixture before dredging in breading (all-purpose flour, Panko breadcrumbs, salt, ground pepper, garlic powder, dried basil). From Table For Two.
- Sausage Wonton Cups: Made with Italian turkey sausage links, tomato sauce, garlic powder, dried basil, wonton wrappers and shredded Italian cheese blend. From Taste of Home.
- Oven Hot Dogs: Hot Dog buns are slathered with mayonnaise, hot dogs are added then topped with fixings (mustard, relish, chili, grated cheddar, onions), covered with foil then baked. From In The Wabe.
- BBQ Beef Sandwiches: Made with cooked, cooled and shredded roast beef, chopped onions, butter, minced garlic, minced celery, dry mustard, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, paprika, Tabasco sauce, black pepper, salt and chili powder. From John Madden’s Ultimate Tailgating found at Food.com.
- Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps: Cubes of boneless, skinless chicken breasted are wrapped with bacon then dredged in brown sugar and chili powder before baking. From Food Network.
- Buffalo Chicken Bites: Ingredients include finely diced cooked chicken breast, crumbled blue cheese, shredded cheddar, hot sauce, unsalted butter, rapid rise dry yeast, brown sugar, warm milk and flour. From What’s Cookin’ Chicago.
- Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes: Made with ground beef, chopped onion, chopped green pepper, steak sauce, beef stock, salt and ground black pepper, butter, flour, milk, shredded provolone and dinner rolls. From Chef In Training.
- Meatball Sliders: Makes 24 servings, ingredients include red onion, Italian meatballs, marinara or pasta sauce, balsamic vinegar, crushed red pepper, provolone cheese, slided roma tomatoes and cocktail buns (split and toasted). From Better Homes And Gardens.
- Pulled Pork Sliders: Made with chopped onion, ketchup, cider vinegar, packed brown sugar, tomato paste, sweet paprika, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, pork butt and slider buns. From What’s Gaby Cooking.
- BBQ Chipped Chop Ham Sandwiches: Made with Chip Chopped Ham (or shaved ham), your favorite BBQ sauce, diced onion, diced green peppers, Kaiser rolls and shredded Cheddar. From Accidental Hedonist.
- Pizza: This looks so delicious! A hot cheesy, layered dip made with cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, mozzarella, parmigiano reggiano, pizza sauce, pepperoni, sliced green pepper and black olives. From Closet Cooking.
- Reuben: A hot dip served with cocktail rye bread, ingredients include diced corned beef, cream cheese, shredded Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, sour cream, ketchup and spicy brown mustard. From Noble Pig.
- 7-Layer: Ingredients include canned bean dip, guacamole, mayonnaise, sour cream, taco seasoning, cheddar cheese, sliced black olives, green onions, diced tomatoes and tortilla chips. From Polish The Stars.
- Guacamole Delicioso: Made with avocados, chunky salsa, cream cheese, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic cloves, salt and pepper. From Pip & Ebby.
- Cookie Dough: Serve with chocolate or honey graham crackers, Ritz crackers and apple wedges. Made with softened cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, chocolate chips and toffee bits. From Add A Pinch.
- Easy Cheesy Hot Bean: Made with softened cream cheese, can chili starter beans, salsa and grated cheese (cheddar, Colby Jack, etc.). From My Life As A Mrs.
- S’more: Made with semisweet chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, marshmallow creme and served with graham cracker honey sticks. From Tastebook.
- 5-Layer Greek: Made with cans of chickpeas/garbanzo beans, lemon juice, olive or grapeseed oil, tahini and salt (hummus ingredients) and layered with finely chopped olives, bell pepper, cucumber and dill. Feta cheese is crumbled over top and sprinkled with dill. Serve with warm pita slices. From The Lovely Cupboard.
- Gooey Cheeseburger: Made with poblano chile, American cheese (cubes), sharp Cheddar, cornstarch, vegetable oil, freshly ground beef chuck, Kosher salt, cumin, red pepper flakes, diced tomatoes (canned), evaporated milk, hot sauce, thinly sliced scallions, finely chopped cilantro leaves. From Serious Eats.
- Weight Watchers Layered Mexican Bean Dip: Made with fat-free canned refried beans, avocado (finely mashed), salt, fresh lemon juice, reduced-fat sour cream, seasoning mix, reduced fat Mexican style blend shredded cheese, chopped fresh tomatoes, sliced scallions, black olives and fresh cilantro. From Weight Watchers.
- Cheesy Italian Sausage: Made with bulk sweet or hot Italian sausage, chopped onion, chopped red bell pepper, minced garlic, cream cheese, shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese, milk, mayonnaise, light sour cream, chopped fresh spinach leaves, mild banana pepper rings. Served with blue corn tortilla chips, bagel chips or sliced baguette. From Better Recipes.
- Black Bean Salsa: Made with black beans (canned), diced tomato, scallions, jalapeno pepper, fresh cilantro, freshly squeezed lime juice and coarse salt. Served with flour tortillas cut into wedges and baked. From Whole Living.
- Guacamole Bean: Made with a can of refried beans, avocados, fresh lime juice, nondairy sour cream, taco seasoning, diced milk green chiles, sliced black olives, chopped tomatoes and shredded vegan Cheddar. From The Kind Life.
- Loaded Baked Potato Dip: Made with fully cooked bacon slices, sour cream, freshly shredded sharp Cheddar, sliced fresh chives, hot sauce and served with waffle fries. From My Recipes.
- Baked Four Cheese Spinach & Artichoke: Made with cream cheese, mayonnaise, grated Parmesan, grated Romano, grated Asiago, grated Mozzarella, garlic, dried basil, Kosher salt, black pepper, artichoke hearts and chopped frozen spinach (thawed and drained). From Simply Scratch.
Veggies & Fruit (Finger Foods):
- Baked Zucchini Sticks: Includes a sweet onion dip (made with caramelized onions, cider vinegar, honey, prepared mustard and mayonnaise). Zucchini is coated with panko bread crumbs, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, beaten eggs (or egg substitute) and a mix of Italian herbs before baking. From King Arthur Flour.
- Avocado Fries: Served with a Cilantro Lemon Dipping sauce (made with mayonnaise, fresh cilantro and lemon juice). Avocado slices are dipped in beaten eggs then dredged in a breadcrumb mixture (made with bread crumbs, lemon pepper, salt and cumin) before frying in olive oil. From Adventures In Cooking.
- Greek Style Potato Skins: Made with russet potatoes, extra-virgin olive oil, salt, Greek yogurt, feta cheese, fresh oregano leaves, lemon zest, minced red onion and fresh ground black pepper. From Serious Eats.
- Mozzarella Sticks: Made with pieces of string cheese, egg roll wrappers, oil for deep frying and served with marinara or spaghetti sauce. From Taste of Home.
- Mozzarella Sticks: Served with a buttermilk dip (made with buttermilk, sour cream, freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice, olive oil, honey, fresh basil, green onions, flat-leaf parsley, salt and ground black pepper), ingredients for sticks: string cheese or slices of mozzarella, panko-style breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, eggs, all-purpose flour and canola oil for frying. From Food People Want.
- Petite Lasagna Cups: Recipe makes 12, ingredients include raw ground turkey, salt, pepper, chopped onion, chopped mushrooms, crushed tomatoes (canned) or tomato sauce, minced garlic, dried oregano, dried basil, part skim ricotta cheese, small square wonton wrappers and shredded mozzarella. From Can You Stay For Dinner.
- Emeril’s Crazy Nachos: Made with crispy tortilla chips, slow-cooker pulled pork, shredded Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack, thinly sliced banana peppers (or other pickled peppers), Emeril’s Queso (includes recipe), finely chopped scallions, fresh cilantro and chipotle salsa (recipe included). Found at Martha Stewart.
- Skillet Nachos: Made with green bell pepper (chopped), chopped zucchini, salsa, chili beans in sauce (canned), tortilla chips, shredded Monterey Jack and sliced ripe olives. From Betty Crocker.
- Soft Pretzels With Jalapeno Cheese Dip: Pretzels can be made ahead of time and frozen (just reheat in the oven before serving). Sauce is made with unsalted butter, flour, milk, minced garlic, minced jalapeno pepper, Colby Jack cheese and cayenne pepper. From Homemade by Holman.
- Homemade Jalapeno Poppers: Made with Pillsbury Crescent dough, cream cheese, fresh jalapenos and bacon. From The Aisle to Aloha.
- Turkey Chilaquiles: (can be made with turkey instead) Ingredients include chopped red onion, diced & cooked turkey, diced green chiles (canned), salsa, unsalted tortilla chips, crumbled queso fresco or Cotija cheese (or grated 4-cheese Mexican blend), fresh cilantro and Crema mexicana or sour cream. From Bon Appetit.
- Baked Layered Buffalo Chicken Nachos: Made with whole wheat tortillas, shredded chicken, sharp cheddar, crumbled gorgonzola, buffalo wing sauce, chopped scallions, avocado (for garnish), olive oil for spritzing. Baked in the oven before serving. From How Sweet It Is.
- Nutty Pimiento Cheese Balls: Bite-size treats made with reduced-fat cream cheese, shredded sharp Cheddar, shredded Monterey Jack, low-fat mayonnaise, chopped pimientos, grated onion, garlic powder, salt, freshly ground pepper and finely chopped toasted pecans. From Eating Well.
- Southwestern Egg Rolls: Served with Avocado Ranch dip (made with mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, olive oil, lemon juice, chopped green onion, salt, avocado). Egg roll ingredients: frozen corn (thawed), black beans (can), frozen chopped spinach (thawed), shredded Mexican cheese, diced green chiles, finely chopped green onions, ground cumin, chili powder, salt, cayenne pepper and a package of egg roll or wonton wrappers. From Cake and Allie.
- Homemade Cheese-Its: Made with flour, cold butter, grated extra-sharp Cheddar, salt and cayenne pepper. From New Nostalgia.
- Garlic Cheddar Biscuits (Red Lobster style): Made with buttermilk biscuit mix (ie. Bisquick or Jiffy), grated cheddar, garlic powder, milk, melted butter, dried oregano and garlic salt. From Gimme Some Oven.
- Beer Bread Cheese Bites: Makes about 48 bites, ingredients include a loaf of classic beer bread (sliced), extra-virgin olive oil, shredded mozzarella, crumbled gorgonzola, shredded Parmesan, minced garlic, chopped fresh parsley and chopped green onion. From Dassant.
- Pizza Pockets: Made with pie crust or pizza crust, pizza sauce, pepperoni slices, mozzarella cheese and a beaten egg. From Picture The Recipe.
- Eating & Walking Taco Bags: Neat idea! Made with chopped onion, sweet or bell peppers, minced fresh garlic, lean ground beef, Kosher salt, black pepper, diced tomatoes (canned), salsa, can tomato paste, cans of beans (drained), sliced black olives, chili powder, ground cumin, hot sauce (Tabasco), fresh lime juice, Kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper, garlic salt, fresh cilantro, bags of Fritos, shredded cheddar, sour cream and green onions. From Picky Palate.
- Becky’s Famous Football Party Stromboli: Made with a frozen bread dough (thawed), thinly sliced ham, hard salami (pepperoni), dried basil, dried oregano, sliced of provolone, shredded mozzarella, butter and cornmeal. From Liv Life.
- Favorite Chili: Ingredients include cubed beef, cubed pork, ground beef, minced garlic, chopped onions, chopped bell peppers, yellow chilies, green chilies, flour, red chili sauce, spicy tomato sauce, prepared yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin powder, oregano, beef broth (cans), kidney beans, beans, chopped mushrooms and salt & pepper to taste. From Whisk.
- Bacon-Cheddar Pinwheels: Makes 16, ingredients include Pillsbury refrigerated crescent dinner rolls, ranch dressing, cooked bacon (crumbled), finely shredded Cheddar and chopped green onions. From Pillsbury.
- Spicy Chicken Tortilla Roll-Ups: Made with boneless, skinless chicken breasts, canned diced tomatoes, softened cream cheese, shredded cheddar, minced garlic, ancho chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, garlic salt, chopped cilantro, scallions and large flour tortillas. From Homemade by Holman.
- Cheesy Quinoa Bites: Made with cooked quinoa, eggs, shredded carrot, diced green onion, minced garlic, fresh cilantro, grated Parmesan, all-purpose flour, seasoning salt and freshly ground pepper. From So Very Blessed.
Dips & Snacks
*First published January 27, 2007 and moved here for better organization
Here are a few tasty dips you may want to try, what’s a party without plenty of dip? Caution: cholesterol counts will likely skyrocket!
3 (8 oz) packages cream cheese
1 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
3/4 cup plain yogurt
3 TBS chopped fresh chives
3 tsp Tabasco sauce
- Mix all ingredients until well blended. Heat for about 8 minutes in microwave on medium heat, stir well every 2 to 3 minutes. Once cheese is hot and fully melted–it’s ready to serve.
Olive Garden Hot Artichoke-Spinach
1 cup artichoke hearts (chopped)
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach (thawed)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
dash ground pepper
- Over medium heat simmer spinach and artichoke hearts in one cup of water. Heat until tender, approximately 10 minutes. Drain well when done.
- Heat cream cheese for 1 minute in the microwave. Add spinach and artichokes, mixing well.
- Stir in rest of ingredients, combining well.
- Serve hot with crackers or toasted bread for dipping.
Tasty Shrimp Dip
1 (8 oz) container sour cream
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
3 TBS Worcestershire sauce
3 TBS dried parsley
1 1/2 tsp onion salt
1 1/2 tsp celery salt
1 pinch garlic salt
1 (4 oz) can small shrimp, drained
- Mix all ingredients until well blended, leaving shrimp to be folded in last. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours (overnight is better).
2 lbs Velveeta cheese
2 lbs hamburger, cooked and drained
1 large jar Salsa (hot is more flavorful, but use your favorite)
1 large onion, finely chopped
- Set cheese on bottom of crock pot so it will melt first, add the rest on top. Stir as cheese melts, eventually all ingredients will be well blended. Serve when hot. Try with taco/tortilla chips or corn chips.
Yummy Crab Dip
1 pkg Cream Cheese
1/3 cup Mayonnaise
1 can Crabmeat (6 ounces)
2 TBS Ketchup
2 Green Onions, chopped
1 TBS hopped Parsley (optional)
1/2 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Pepper
- Drain the can of crabmeat and flake with a fork. Add ketchup, green onions, parsley, salt and pepper to the crabmeat-mix very well. In a separate bowl blend the cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Then add to the above ingredients and beat until light and fluffy. Chill first for best flavor.
Ideas For Snacks
- See this recipe for Pimiento Olive & Cheese Spread slathered over a loaf of french bread, broil then serve.
- Finger foods: Chicken wings, skewered meatballs, stuffed mini-pita pockets, pizza buns
- Hot & filling: Chili is a Superbowl favorite, make sure to have lots of crusty buns to go with this dish
- Snacks: Chips, pretzels, veggies, mixed nuts, hot buttered popcorn
- Sweets: Squares, cookies and slices of loaf cakes
- Beverages: Lots of pop and juices–and whatever else you like ;)–just make sure to be well stocked with ice because I can g-uarant-ee no one will volunteer to do an ice run in the middle of the game!
Tips for the big day
- Get your hands on as many slow cookers as you can. Borrow from family, friends and neighbors if they can spare them. It really helps when everything is prepared ahead of time and the food is hot & tasty right when you need it.
- If you can’t get the crocks you need, keep fully prepared food in oven safe dishes, wrap tops in foil and leave in low heat oven to stay warm.